Emerging Self-deluded Artform

Lyrics, thoughts, food and other good things, brought to you by Brian...

Art is over my head

I have to do a review of an artwork for class. So, I have to go to a gallery, do some background research and all that, and then write about the artwork as if I knew what I was talking about. Y'know, aesthetic philosophy and all that other fun stuff. This wouldn't be such a problem, except that I can't for the life of me find meaning in paintings. I can appreciate them for their beauty, for looking nice, and for obviously requiring a lot of skill, but that's not really the point. So, what am I missing? Do I completely lack any scrap of creativity? I've made an effort to go to art shows, expand my horizons and all that, and at times I've considered that maybe everyone is just pretending. Maybe no one sees meaning in art. Maybe it's all just whatever you want to see. Am I wrong here?

To be fair, I can't draw/paint/sculpt to save my life. My complete lack of ability in this area may be influencing my opinions here.

On a side note, the NBA regular season is once again in full swing. Go Raptors! Someone should really come to a game with me. It's all sorts of fun.

______________________________________________