Emerging Self-deluded Artform

Lyrics, thoughts, food and other good things, brought to you by Brian...

Amazing stuff...

Dr. Loney once told us a story of a former Redeemer professor of English, a distant relative of the great 17th century poet George Herbert, who would actually weep in class while reading Herbert poems. I've been deeply touched by poems before, but never to such a degree. Also, those that affected me most were not of the religious sort, which are the only sort Herbert ever published, but rather poems about love or loss. But then, I had never read George Herbert before...

Redemption
Having been tenant long to a rich lord,
Not thriving, I resolved to be bold,
And make a suit unto him, to afford
A new small-rented lease, and cancel th' old.

In heaven at his manor I him sought:
They told me there that he was lately gone
About some land which he had dearly bought
Long since on earth, to take possession.

I straight returned, and knowing his great birth,
Sought him accordingly in great resorts -
In cities, theatres, gardens, parks, and courts:
At length I heard a ragged noise and mirth

Of thieves and murderers; there I him espied,
Who straight, "Your suit is granted," said, and died.

______________________________________________