Emerging Self-deluded Artform

Lyrics, thoughts, food and other good things, brought to you by Brian...

Helping or hurting?

Emotion in music is a good thing... right? Sure. I don't think anyone would deny that songwriters who pour their heart and soul into their music end up with the best songs. All I'd have to do is mention Bob Dylan and David Bowie to make the case, not to mention all those classical composers, although most of you know a great deal more about any of them than I do. I wonder, though, if this outpouring is always a good thing. Take teenage angst, for example. Bands such as Sum 41, Billy Talent, Green Day and others have made careers on it. At first I thought it was great, hoping that these bands could show depressed high school kids that they aren't alone. I've talked to people that say music like this "pulled them out of a pit" and so on.

But is it possible that teenage depression is only being propogated by this type of music? It would be hard to argue that it's a cure. I think that you can see a link between a decline in popular Christianity and a rise in depression, anger, angst or whatever else. So, is angry music the solution? At times it helped me, but perhaps it's not for everyone. What then do we do about it?

______________________________________________